- Posted by Roman Bozhenko
- On July 2, 2018
- 0 Comments
- app framework, application, mobile development, Octodev, platform
The mobile applications for iOS and Android provide easy and instant access to the global markets, and this is an opportunity you can’t ignore. Building an app from scratch may prove to be an unnecessarily challenging task, and luckily there are frameworks at our disposal that streamline the work progress. Let’s take a look at the tools that can be used to produce reliable high end solutions for the most widely used mobile platforms.
One of the most popular solutions in the industry, the React Native framework allows to create robust and feature rich applications. It is backed by Facebook and is frequently updated to meet the demands of the industry. It boasts a set of special features that distinguish it among competitors:
- Hot reload allows to avoid compiling every time a change is made during the development process – all you need to do is to alter the script;
- Native modules allow to easily introduce the platform specific components to your application.
The framework also provides an opportunity to create separate versions of certain features for Android and iOS which gives the developers a certain degree of flexibility. Another advantage is that it allows quick prototyping for new applications.
Aside from the ultra popular social network we mentioned above, React Native is also currently used by Instagram, Airbnb and Skype. If you are serious about mobile development, you have to give it a try!
- Use of native user interface components, no webviews;
- Rich ecosystem with instant access to a wide variety of plugins, outstanding extendibility;
- True cross-platform experience – applications for Android and iOS are deployed from a single codebase;
- Hot reload capacity;
- CSS compliant application styling.
NativeScript makes mobile development easy and provides a reliable toolkit to deliver a result in a limited timeframe while retaining high performance and clean code structure. Being licensed under Apache 2 license and backed by Telerik, it constantly evolves and improves.
Xamarin is a Microsoft owned framework for cross platform application development for iOS, Android and Windows Phone with the use of C#. The idea is fairly simple. You write the code in the language specified above with the use of all features that it provides including the functions of SDK platform and native UI generation. As the developers state, the resulting app isn’t any different from the native projects in terms of exterior and performance.
The package includes the following components:
- IOS – a C# library that facilitates the access to iOS SDK;
- Android – a tool that allows the use of Android SDK;
- Xamarin IDE;
- VS Plugin.
Based on Mono (an open-source version of .NET platform) Xamarin has been in the market since 2011 and the framework has proven that it can be used for hybrid development in corporate grade projects.
Ionic is absolutely free to use while it packs the power of a corporate grade package. Unlike some solutions that charge up to a few thousand bucks for a complete license, the Ionic framework provides small studios and individual developers to tap into it immense power.
Ionic is built on AngularJS which means that:
- If you know Angular, you won’t have any difficulties mastering Ionic;
- You can always contact the large developer community to ask questions and get support if you are experiencing certain difficulties;
- Its performance is constantly being worked on because Angular is developed and supported by Google.
Ionic allows to build apps that have a really native feel to them. Smooth user experience and the ability to customize interface elements according to the style of a specific platform are a big advantage. Looking to add a personal touch to the exterior? That’s also an option with custom CSS!
The framework integrates easily with native functions (such as GPS or camera use) by using the API with the help of ngCordova – a solution produced by Ionic team to streamline the development process and solve the most common problems.
With a strong development team behind the project and extremely active community, it comes as no surprise that Ionic is one of the most widely used solutions in this particular field.
Mobile Angular UI
A hybrid solution that blends in the advantages of twitter Bootstrap and AngularJS, this framework allows you to easily build responsive applications. Its features include the following:
- Superior mobile experience – the toolbox packs every necessary feature like gestures, overlays etc;
- Lightweight files – the heavy bootstrap components are moved to separate files that you can use at your discretion;
- No jQuery required – Mobile Angular UI development team prefers to minimize the external dependencies;
- Easy syntax that is based on Bootstrap which allows to turn a web based design into a mobile application rather quickly.
On top of that you also get to use the FontAwesome pack! Mobile Angular UI is a user-friendly solution with a smooth learning curve for web developers. With clean aesthetics and refined performance it’s a viable solution that many developers use in their work.
Framework 7 is an open source, free to use solution that provides the developers with means to build fast, feature rich applications. Please keep in mind that it can be used to create both iOS and Android applications but you’ll have to develop different versions separately which may require additional time to complete the project.
The best part about Framework 7 is that it provides a variety of UI elements that look and work like native components. They are especially well optimized for use with Apple hardware and boast outstanding performance. If you are looking for a tool to build a robust and reliable application, this is your sure bet.
The Kendo UI framework is positioned by the developers as a toolbox for rapid and reliable development. The toolbox boasts the following advantages:
- A range of widely used features is available out-of-the-box, you won’t need to reinvent them once again;
- The framework also offers advanced components thus reducing time needed to deploy the application;
- Guaranteed stable performance under heavy workload – the development process in the Kendo UI team includes meticulous quality assurance.
Aside from the pros listed above, this solution also integrates seamlessly with Angular, React, Vue and jQuery. If you want to build a beautiful, responsive application, Kendo UI is your sure bet!
This framework is a part of the Apache Software Foundation which means that it will remain free for use under any conditions. This is a great solution for you if:
- You are a mobile developer and want to make your application accessible on multiple platforms without having to develop it from scratch for another platform;
- You are a web developers and you need a solution to promote your application in app stores;
- You are a mobile developer who wants to blend proprietary components with the WebView (special browser windows) via device API.
You can use Apache Cordova both for cross platform workflow and for platform specific development. This means that you can make the project accessible on a large range of devices or focus on refining the performance for a certain segment which may require changes in low level processes. The functional range of this solution can be extended by plugins that are produced by the community. Comprehensive documentation and guides cover every topic you need to start the development process.
Overall, it is a professional toolset that provides every necessary mean to create a robust application with a wide functional range.
Nowadays there is a range of solutions for hybrid mobile app development that make this lucrative area even more competitive. It is no longer a luxury that is accessible only to the industry’s top brands – it has become a necessity if you are looking to promote your brand or facilitate certain services to the people. Given that there are quite a few good open source solution for everyone to use freely at their own discretion, the rivalry is harsh.
If you want to build a high quality robust application that delivers solid value to the user and performs properly under heavy workload, the Octodev team will gladly assist you in your project. Please contact us today for further details!